Thursday, November 13, 2014

Compassionate Service Cookbook

A few years ago, I had a medical event and the sisters in my ward were wonderful delivering meals while I recovered. My husband and son were not reduced to eating PB&J tortillas, mac & cheese, and hamburgers. When asked what I could eat now, I replied no salt, low fat foods. We got lasagna (of course), breads, spaghetti with chicken, green salads, and a variety of other pasta dishes. I am very grateful for all the sisters did for our family during this time. Unfortunately, I couldn't eat most of the foods these sisters so loving produced. I give them an A for effort, but most don't understand the nature of commercially processed foods.

This led me to an idea, a Relief Society Compassionate Service Cookbook. The idea was that the sisters were to share recipes specific to medical dietary needs such as diabetes, celiac disease, hypertension, etc. I would compile these recipes into a booklet that could be shared so that when certain people needed meals, the sisters could be more prepared with ideas. Our R.S. president was very excited and she told the Stake R.S. president who contacted me and asked that I share with her when it was complete. Wow, this must be a great idea. Anyway, to make this very long story shorter, I got a few recipes, but not enough...so the idea kinda died off.


Every once in a while, I run across this file on my computer that has the layout, design, some recipes all for this cookbook. I glance at it, even might put a new recipe in there, but nothing much happens after that. This past week I made a trip to the library and was in the cookbook section. There were cookbooks for ADD/ADHD, diabetes, autism, hypertension & cardiac disease, pregnancy, on and on. And even though I collect cookbooks, recipes and the like, I don't have cookbooks specific to each of these diseases. I don't think anyone does, nor do I intend to.

          
These books are all available at www.amazon.com


I got to thinking again about this cookbook and I've decided to go ahead and write it. It will be a compilation of recipes found all over the internet. No recipe will be included if I have not tried it out on my family first. I know that the pictures may look fantastic, but the dish tastes like _____. Or the dish is more complicated to make than it should be. I can also get the opinions of my husband and son who have very different likes and dislikes.

If you have a recipe you think would be great to include in this book, please share.
Send the recipe to shadleparkpl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment