Sunday, November 30, 2014

Christmas Goodies

So my list of Christmas goodies goes something like this


This recipe was in the 1963 Betty Crocker Cookbook. It is the recipe I grew up with. When I moved out on my own and got my first Betty Crocker Cookbook (1980) the sugar cookie recipe was different. I tried the recipe and hated it. I memorized Mary's Sugar Cookies recipe and have been using it ever since. 

There is only one alteration I have ever made to the original recipe, I didn't have almond extract one year, so I used orange extract instead. My mother absolutely loved the change and I always made hers with the "new" recipe.


My mom taught me to use a butter cream frosting, but it didn't harden and when the cookies were stacked on a plate, the frosting from the cookie below would stick to the back of the cookie on top. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, but when I've put so much effort into decorating I don't want them to get messed up.

I've shared this link with you for the frosting recipe only. I wouldn't recommend the sugar cookie recipe, too close to Ethel's for my taste, but hey, it's your cookie, use whatever recipe you want.

Sweet & Saltines (aka Christmas Crack)

Last year, my daughter introduced me to this. I made pan after pan after pan. Yes a pan or two did make it out the door, but I ate more than I shared. It is truly addictive.

Fantasy Fudge (original recipe)

Who in the last 40 years hasn't had Fantasy Fudge? I have it every year, I even make it in the spring, summer and autumn (why wait until once a year to eat fudge?). Apparently, Kraft Foods has changed the recipe for Fantasy Fudge. I'm guessing...because Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips are not owned by Kraft Foods, where as Baker's semi-sweet chocolate is, go figure. If you'd like to try the new recipe for Fantasy Fudge, go here.

Each family has it's own list of Christmas goodies, I thought I would share mine to help get you in the goodies mood. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment