Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Every Penny Counts part two

Don't you hate it when you open a package of whatever (baking powder, granola, noodles) and don't use them all right away? I know I do. For instance, baking powder and baking soda, I don't use them daily, weekly or even monthly. So they sit in the cupboard and well...age out. I also hate having to throw them away. One way to extend the life of these dry goods is to vacuum seal them.

Many moons ago I purchased a Food Saver® vacuum sealing system. I only use the rolls, only because not everything I seal up is the same size, but if you like you can purchase bags. I use this to vacuum seal bulk meats mostly, but I've used it for soups, vegetables from my garden and important documents (i.e.birth certificates). I also use it to extend the life of those things I don't use very often, such as baking powder.

Opened and not used up.
Instructions for cooking the Quinoa taped on back of jar.

Food Saver® brand vacuum sealing system
Food Saver® is but one brand, there are others out there, this is just what I happen to have. Items that you will need are jars (1/2 pint, pint, quart or half gallon), lids to fit the jars and a sealing system. If you are going to seal powdery items (soda, confectioners sugar, flour) be sure that you wipe the rim of the jar with a damp paper towel and always leave 1" headspace. 

When I did my confectioners sugar, there was sugar EVERYWHERE!

Sometimes it does not seal the first try or the second or the third. It usually means something is wrong. I tried several times on one jar and then checked the rim, yep, there was a chip, silly me. Once there was extra rubber on the lid, not an issue if you are heat canning, but it is when vacuum canning. Another time, powder had seeped into the sealer and a vacuum couldn't be formed. With a little patience and a bit of observation, almost all jars will seal...except fancy jelly jars. Nope, they don't seal. I tried, I really did, but no, it was not gonna happen.


Vacuum sealing is not a replacement for heat canning. 

It should be used for dry goods or freezer only. 

See those bread crumbs, opened but not used up. Now I can use them later.
As to those spiffy labels, I found them online at Canning Homemade. Wonderful to work with, but a hint here as well. These are shrink sleeves, you dip the jar into a pot of boiling hot water, the trick is turn the burner off first and don't touch the jar to the bottom of the pot. I did and my kitchen smelled great all day, the bottom of the jar of my sausage seasoning broke right off.

Most times though, I just write the contents on a piece of paper or cut from the package and tape it (packing tape) to the outside of the jar (see the quinoa in the top picture) along with any cooking directions. It's less expensive that way, especially if it's a temporary jar.





No comments:

Post a Comment